Why Prayer Walk, what does it mean ?
If this is new to you we want to encourage and welcome you to a growing movement. Firstly be at peace, you are not alone, and there is no great mystery or secret, prayer walking is as simple as it sounds – praying as you walk. Out loud or silently.
God told Joshua: ‘I will give you every place where you set your foot’ (Joshua 1:3 NIV), there is something powerful and significant about making our prayers physical: expressing our longings for places by going and standing there to pray.
However as we see in this Joshua, prayer and walking in prayer does carry great power. When we prayer walk we are stepping into our authority as God’s children to bless people and places in Jesus’ name. Speaking and declaring His word to bring transformation to communities, situations, an area or land by asking God to break in and release His will on earth. To see His Glory displayed. Prayer walking at its heart is a conversation with our glorious Father. Asking Him what is on His heart, what does He see, how does He want us to pray.
Simple, powerful and effective….. but where do you start, how do you prepare…
Preparation is key. If you were embarking on a day of hiking you would equip yourself ahead with the right footwear, clothing, you would research the weather and terrain. In preparation you might build up your fitness and stamina through a series of shorter walks.
Therefore, whether this is your first prayer walk or you are seasoned veteran in prayer walking, we would love you to join with us in preparing for South Downs Awakening. Prepare your heart and mind by seeking the Lord in prayer as to His word for the walk, interceding for revelation of His heart. You might want to begin by walking on the Downs with friends ahead of SDA. Some helpful thoughts to think about:
- A good place to start and end is with worship and thanks – it is so important, He is worthy of all our worship and praise.
- Be alert. What are you sensing both spiritually and through your senses – sight, smell, hearing. What is He saying through these?
- Prophetic, are any Bible verses coming to mind or pictures. As they do turn them into prayers.
- Speak blessing into the community and the land.
- Journal. When you return home write down what you felt the Lord say to you and for the area. It is amazing to see His faithfulness and record testimony.
Intrinsic to the vision of South Downs Awakening is Unity. When we prayer walk in July we will be walking as the ‘broader church’, no matter our background. A community of believers, with the same heart and passion to see God’s Kingdom on earth.
Be blessed as you prepare to be part of this adventure, we are excited for you, for our communities, the church and the Land.